Frequently asked questions

What are the benefits of participating in the UCLA Study Abroad Program?

If selected as a participant you will:

  • Gain invaluable international experience
  • Study at UCLA, ranked 15th in the world (Times Higher Education rankings 2017-2018)
  • Live on campus and experience the richness of American college life
  • Accelerate your study by receiving credit towards your degree
  • Spend your winter break enjoying the Californian summer
  • Make long-lasting US connections and friendships
Parth Gulati
"Even in an increasingly globalised world, America remains at the heart of the conversation on everything from arts and culture to business and foreign policy. Studying in Los Angeles and experiencing the US firsthand has helped me broaden my international career options." Parth Gulati, University of Sydney

Who organises the program?

The UCLA Study Abroad Program is an initiative of the United States Studies Centre in partnership with the Perth USAsia Centre, the University of Sydney and the University of Western Australia.

Units of study

Do I get to pick my units of study?

Yes, you must choose two courses worth four units each from hundreds of UCLA course options.

University of Sydney students in the:

  • The Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences has recently noted that all UCLA units of study will be credited as 3 credit points (meaning two units at UCLA will equal 6 USYD credits). Please click here for a list of pre-approved units (please keep checking this page for updates on pre-approved units). To gain course approval for a unit not on the attached list, please email the UCLA course outline to the FASS faculty services email, Please make sure you note in your email that are participating on the USSC UCLA program.
  • The Business School has provided a pre-approved list of units. They have also provided a list just for Comm Law students. If you would like to take a unit that is not on the list, please fill out their Independent Study Abroad form and submit it to the buisness school faculty services email,
  • Faculty of Science students need to obtain relevant departmental permission for the UCLA unit they wish to receive credit towards their degree. Please head to the Science Faculty study abroad page.
  • The Faculty of Engineering & IT students need to obtain relevant departmental permission for the UCLA units they wish to receive credit towards their degree. They can be emailed at

University of Western Australia

  • Units will be counted towards category A or B broadening units or as elective units where applicable. Students will be required to seek approval for each UCLA unit they wish to enrol in prior to the predeparture session.  See Important dates for further information. Credit towards any major or specialisations is subject to approval by the relevant department and the faculty.


Students from UNSW will need to speak with their individual faculties for credit approval. If students have further questions about credit approval or are having difficulties with this process, please contact Amelia Trial.

Note: the US Studies Centre will assist successful applicants with the credit approval process, where applicable.

How much credit will I receive towards my degree?

Upon successful completion of two UCLA courses worth 4 units each, you will receive up to a total of 12 credit points towards your degree.


I am not a student of the University of Sydney, UNSW or University of Western Australia, can I still apply for the program?

No. In 2018, the UCLA Study Abroad Program is only open to University of Sydney undergraduate students in the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, the Business School and Faculty of Science and UWA students completing a Bachelor of Arts, Commerce or Science degree and UNSW undergradute students.

What are the selection criteria?

See the who should apply section.

I am an international student. Am I still eligible to apply?

International students are welcome to apply but should be aware that it may be difficult to acquire a visa to the US depending on the student's Country of Citizenship. International students should refer to the U.S. Embassy for further information before applying for the program.

International students will also need to meet UCLA's minimum English language requirements of an IELTS score of 6.5 or TOEFL score of 550 for paper-based test, 213 for the electronic version, 79 for the internet-based test. Students can use the IELTS or TOEFL results that they used to gain admission to the University of Sydney and do not need to re-sit the test for admission into this program. International students educated in English or who are residents of a country in which English is one of the primary languages, are exempt from meeting the English language requirements.

Application process

How do I apply?

To apply follow the steps listed in the how to apply section. All applications must be submitted via the online application form by midnight EST on Monday 2 April 2018.

What documents do I need to prepare to apply?

You will need to prepare and submit a one A4-page resume, which highlights your career objectives, skills summary, extra-curricular activities and work and educational history.

When is the deadline for all applications?

The application deadline is by midnight EST on Monday 2 April 2018. Applicants are strongly urged to submit applications without delay to avoid disappointment. An AU$400 deposit is required at the time of application.

Important dates

Will I miss out on any class time to participate in the program?

Yes, for University of Sydney students the start of the program overlaps with the last week of the Semester 1, 2018 exam period. If students have any exams during the week of 25 June 2018, the USSC will advise students on how to reschedule these after the final exam timetable is released. No exams will be proctored by the United States Studies Centre in Los Angeles and students are not allowed to miss the first week of classes at UCLA.

Sydney and UWA students will also miss the first week of semester 2, 2018 and will need to inform their lecturers and tutors of this, prior to departure. Students will be responsible for catching up on any work missed and no special consideration will apply.

UNSW students will miss the first two weeks of semester 2, 2018 and will need to inform their lecturers and tutors of this, prior to departure. Students will be responsible for catching up on any work missed and no special consideration will apply.

Can I commence the program late or finish the program earlier than the nominated dates?

No, students must commence the program on 25 June 2018 and finish on 3 August 2018. It is your responsibility to make sure you can commit to these dates before submitting your application for the program.


Is accommodation provided for the entire duration of the program?

Yes. Student accommodation will be provided on the UCLA campus. See the accommodation section for details.

Do I have to stay on the UCLA campus?

Yes. All students must stay in the accommodation provided by UCLA. This is a requirement of the course. Students are not permitted to stay with family or friends or to otherwise arrange their own accommodation under any circumstances.

Will I have access to UCLA facilities on campus?

Yes, you will receive a BruinCard, which is your passport to life at UCLA. The BruinCard will not only serve as your official UCLA ID but act as your debit, meal, residential, library, laundry and printing card and give you free access to gym facilities and campus events.

Can I move into the UCLA accommodation earlier than the nominated date?

Accommodation is provided from Sunday 24 June 2018 to Friday 3 August 2018 (i.e. you are expected to checkout by 5pm on the 3rd August). Early arrival space prior to the scheduled first day of the housing contract is limited and there is no guarantee that space will be available. Students who must arrive early should contact the Front Desk of their accommodation to discuss the possibility of an early arrival arrangement.

Fees and scholarships

What is the closing date for the payment of fees?

Full fee payment is due by close of business on 18 May 2018. Please note: to secure a place in the program, applicants must submit a deposit of AU$400 at the time of application and a further AU$600 to accept their offer (which is part-payment of the total fees).

What do the fees cover?

The program fixed fees cover the costs for two units of study, health insurance, travel insurance, administrative fees, Bruincard, pre-departure seminars and some cultural activities in LA. The cost for accommodation and meals varies depending on the individual package selected. Students are also liable for additional costs including: visa processing and lodgement, return airfares and transfers, food and entertainment and any other associated costs.

How do I pay my program fees?

Students must submit their payment via the University of Sydney’s online payment gateway. Students will be provided with the relevant link.

Can I use HECS-HELP or FEE-HELP to defer payment of the unit of study fees?

No. All fees must be paid upfront by the relevant date and cannot be deferred.

Can I cancel my application?

Yes, you can. Please refer to the refund policy for further details.

How do I cancel my application?

Applications to withdraw from the UCLA Study Abroad Program must be submitted in writing and lodged with the United States Studies Centre. Please refer to the refund policy for further details.

Will I receive a refund of all of my tuition fees?

Please refer to the refund policy for further details.

Will any scholarships be offered?

Please check the scholarship page for further details.