The US Studies Centre is delighted to offer its Masters of US Studies Students the opportunity to Intern at Senator Gillibrand's office in NYC. Applications are currently open and will close on 30 July, 2017. Successful applicants will be notified after the closing date.
Applications must be submitted through the Senator's website, here
If you application is successful, your internship will span from September-December 2017 (specific dates to be confirmed). Students will be responsible for all visa, accomodation and flight costs. The US Studies Centre, in partnership with CICD will assist successful applicants in the J-1 visa process.
To apply for this program students must:
- Be enrolled in the Master of US Studies program at the US Studies Centre. If you began your Master of US Studies prior to Semester 1, 2015 you are still eligible to compete this internship, but it will require you to upgrade to the Master of Letters program. If you began your Master of US Studies program in 2015 or later you can complete this internship as part of your capstone. For more information on this, please contact the postgraduate coordinator.
- Have a passport that is valid unitl June 2018. For visa purposes, your passport must be valid for 6 months after the program end date. If you are thinking about applying for the program, but need to renew your passport, please do so now.
- Commit to the durration of the internship (September-December 2017, exact dates TBC)
“It was a joy to turn up each day and work for the citizens of New York alongside so many clever, passionate, and dedicated people from all walks of life. The Senator’s NYC office is located in mid-town Manhattan, so it was an amazing opportunity to explore and soak up all that the city has to offer. On top of deepening my knowledge of the American political system, I was able to develop my leadership skills and form strong connections with staffers and interns alike.” Evin Donohoe, Master of US Studies alumnus and 2016 Senator Gillibrand Intern.
Costing and Scholarships:
- Students are responsible for all associated costs including visa, flight and accomodation.
- The US Studies Centre will consider all successful applicants for a travel scholarship.
For further information about Senator Gilliabrands office, please head to her website.
If you have any further questions about the internship, please email Amelia Trial, Student Mobility Manager.