By submitting an application you agree to the following program conditions:
Selection criteria and application process
- All applicants must be currently enrolled in an undergraduate or postgraduate degree at the University of Sydney or the University of New South Wales.
- All applicants must have completed (or will complete by the end of semester 1, 2019) at least 48 credit points of their degree. Postgraduate applicants must include their undergraduate transcript.
- All applications will only be accepted via the online application form.
- Applications close on 24 March 2019 at midnight AEST. No late applications will be accepted.
- All students who accept their offers must have room in their degree to enrol in USSC3701 (or PG equivilant)
- Students are required to attend the full program from 1 July to 26 July 2019.
- Before students submit their application, they must ensure that they can commit to the important dates.
- Students are required to sign and comply with the Behaviour Contract.
- No student shall misrepresent the University of Sydney, University of New South Wales or the United States Studies Centre in any way. Inappropriate use of the institution's name and resources, either professionally or otherwise may result in the immediate termination of the student from the program.
- The University of Sydney and the United States Studies Centre are entitled to remove any student from the program deemed to seriously misrepresent any of these organisations or the program as a whole.
- For the full duration of the program students must agree to abide by the US laws, particularly in relation to the legal age for consumption of alcohol.
Visa and travel arrangements
- Students are responsible for their visa application and costs. Details on costs for an ESTA are available through the US Embassy. The United States Studies Centre will provide visa advice, but each student must make sure they have the correct visa to travel (either ESTA or B1/B2).
- Students are strongly advised to not make any international travel plans prior to the program start date until their US visas have been approved. If for any reason a student has not received their visa before their travel dates, they will be responsible for any fees for changing their flights.
- Students are responsible for their own travel arrangements to and from Washington D.C. and the Georgetown campus. Students must arrive at Georgetown on 14 July 2019 to check into their accommodation.
- Students are required to attend a USSC pre-departure session to be held during the Sydney class time.
- University of Sydney and UNSW students are covered by University insurance but it is their responsibility to understand the level of cover provided under the University policy and make their own arrangements to supplement the policy if need be.
- When completing the application form, students will pay an application fee of A$400.
- A further deposit of A$600 is due by 5 April 2019: If issued an offer and accepted, students will pay an additional A$600 to secure their placement on the program. The A$1000 will count towards the student's final fees.
- The full program fees are due no later than 17 May 2019.
- Students are responsible for additional costs including visas, return airfares and transfers, additional food and entertainment costs and any other associated costs.
- In the event that the Georgetown Program is cancelled, or if your visa application is denied, students will receive 100% refund of program fees.
- If no offer is issued, or if the student declines their offer, the A$400 application fee will be returned to them.
- Upon accepting their offer, all students must pay an additional deposit of A$600 (for a total of A$1000), This deposit will only be refunded if the program is cancelled, or if your visa is denied.
- Students who withdraw from the Georgetown Program prior to close of business on 17 May 2019 will receive a full refund of any program fees paid, less the A$1000 deposit.
- Students who withdraw from the Georgetown Program after close of business on 17 May 2019 will not receive a refund of any fees paid.
- Applications to withdraw from the Georgetown Program must be received in writing and lodged with the United States Studies Centre by the relevant date. The United States Studies Centre requests that students withdraw no later than 17 May 2019.
- Students on this program will stay at Georgetown in a campus dorm. Students will be able to select their roommate prior to departure.
- Students consent that photographs or film recordings taken in connection with the Georgetown Program may be used for marketing purposes by the University of Sydney and the United States Studies Centre.
- Student information as required for administering all aspects of the program will be transferred from the relevant faculties at the University of Sydney to the United States Studies Centre.