The US Studies Centre is pleased to announce the appointment of Dennis Richardson AO, Secretary of the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT), to its Board of Directors.
Announcing the appointment, US Studies Centre Board Chairman Malcolm Binks AO said Mr Richardson would bring invaluable expertise in Australia-US relations to the Centre.
"Having Dennis on the Board will add materially to the Centre's capacity to enhance understanding of the US in Australia and internationally", Mr Binks said.
Mr Richardson is a distinguished career public servant who has served in many key posts, most recently as Australia's Ambassador to the United States and before that as Director General of the Australian Security Intelligence Organisation (ASIO).
Welcoming the appointment the Centre's chief executive Professor Geoffrey Garrett said Mr Richardson's high position in the Australian government could help facilitate a new emphasis in the Centre on the future opportunities and challenges for the Australia-US Alliance.
"The foundations of the Alliance are rock solid. Dennis will help us build on this base to explore how Australia-US relations may evolve in the coming decades to face the new realities of the 21st century", Professor Garrett said.
Other Directors of the US Studies Centre include:
- David Anstice, Former Senior Executive, Merck & Co;
- Bob Carr, Former Premier of New South Wales;
- Stephen Garton, Provost & Deputy Vice-Chancellor University of Sydney;
- Loftus Harris Former Director General of NSW State and Regional Development;
- Linda Bardo Nicholls, AO, Chairman of Healthscope;
- Joseph Skrzynski, AO, Managing Director of Castle Harlan Australian Mezzanine Partners;
- Ezekiel Solomon, AM, Senior Partner of Allens Arthur Robinson;
- Michael Thawley, AO, Former Australian Ambassador to the US and
- Lucy Turnbull, Former Lord Mayor of Sydney
Media Enquiries Nina Fudala T 0409 321 918