Subscribe to receive The 45th newsletter in your inbox.
Google has moved to suspend some business with Huawei following the Trump administration's decision to add the Chinese technology company to a trade blacklist, enacting restrictions that will make it extremely difficult for the company to do business with US counterparts. Google will stop providing Huawei with access, technical support and collaboration involving its proprietary apps and services going forward, Reuters reports.
A spokesman for China’s ministry of foreign affairs, Lu Kang, said Beijing would “support Chinese enterprises in defending their legitimate rights through legal methods”.
The US Commerce Department moved to temporarily ease some restrictions in recent days, allowing Huawei to purchase American-made goods in order to maintain existing networks and provide software updates to existing Huawei handsets. Huawei founder Ren Zhengfei said Tuesday that the temporary reprieve bore little meaning for the company as it had been making preparations for the US ban.