The multi-state Super Tuesday primaries (Wednesday 7 March Australian time) is the biggest event in the US elections to date and will be pivotal in determining the Republican candidate to challenge President Obama in November. On Super Tuesday, more delegates will be awarded than in the first two months of the Republican presidential race combined, with 10 states going to the polls to award more than 400 delegates.
The United States Studies Centre at the University of Sydney is hosting live media coverage of Super Tuesday at the University’s Manning Bar throughout the day including an expert panel from 12:30pm comprising US Studies Centre CEO Professor Geoffrey Garrett, Chair in US Media and national correspondent of The Atlantic Monthly Professor James Fallows, and Research Associate and Editor of The Spectator Australia Tom Switzer. US Studies Centre Research Associate and ABC Broadcaster John Barron will moderate the proceedings.
The United States Studies Centre also has a team of expert commentators available for interview. They are:
- Professor James Fallows: Chair in US Media at the US Studies Centre and National Correspondent for the Atlantic Monthly magazine.
- Professor Geoffrey Garrett: Chief Executive Officer of the United States Studies Centre and Professor of Political Science, specialising in US politics, foreign policy and economics.
- Associate Professor Brendon O'Connor: Associate Professor in American Politics with expertise in foreign policy and American exceptionalism.
- Dr David Smith: Lecturer in American Politics and Foreign Policy, specialising in religion in politics.
- Tom Switzer: Research Associate with the United States Studies Centre and former Opinion Editor with The Australian newspaper.
- Professor Simon Jackman: Professor of Political Science at Stanford University and Visiting Professor at the Centre. Expert on polling and political participation. (Based in California)
- Dr Harry Melkonian: Lecturer in American Politics, specialising in the US Constitution.
- Professor David Weisbrot AM: Professor of Legal Policy at the United States Studies Centre. Expert on campaign funding and election rules.
- Dr Adam Lockyer: Lecturer in American Politics and Foreign Policy, specialising in US Defense Policy.
The United States Studies Centre also has a special website US Election Watch 2012 packed with news, background detail and expert commentary to get you up to speed before Super Tuesday. US Election Watch 2012 will provide updates and analysis on all the major events in the lead-up to the general election on Tuesday 6 November, including the televised debates and both the Democratic and Republican National Conventions.