US President Barack Obama will deliver the annual State of the Union address to a special joint session of Congress on Tuesday 28 January 2014 at 9pm Washington time, Wednesday 29 January 2014 at 1pm Sydney time.
President Obama will outline his agenda for the coming year in preparation for November's midterm elections, which will see the House of Representatives and one third of the Senate up for re-election. The President's speech will be followed immediately afterwards by a reply from a Republican Party spokesperson.
The United States Studies Centre at the University of Sydney has a team of expert commentators available to discuss all aspects of the address, including Obama’s second term agenda and the challenges he faces in implementing his progressive program.
Experts available for commentary are:
- Professor Bates Gill: CEO of the US Studies Centre.
- Dr Brendon O'Connor: Associate professor in American politics.
- Mary Kissel: Research associate with the US Studies Centre and Wall Street Journal editorial board member, based in New York.
- Tom Switzer: Research associate with the US Studies Centre and editor of the Spectator Australia.
- Dr Nicole Hemmer: Research associate with the US Studies Centre and visiting assistant professor, University of Miami, based in Florida.
- Dr Harry Melkonian: Senior lecturer at the US Studies Centre.
- Dr Michael Ondaatje: Research associate at the US Studies Centre and senior lecturer at the University of Newcastle.
- Malcolm Jorgensen: Lecturer at the US Studies Centre.
MEDIA ENQUIRIES: Jonathan Bradley T 0411 864 702 E